Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun picture has 9 senses
- picture, image, icon, ikon - a visual representation (of an object or scene or person or abstraction) produced on a surface; "they showed us the pictures of their wedding"; "a movie is a series of images projected so rapidly that the eye integrates them"
--1 is a kind of representation
--1 has particulars:
| ||bitmap, electronic image; chiaroscuro; collage, montage; foil, transparency; iconography; inset; likeness, semblance; panorama, cyclorama, diorama; photograph, photo, exposure, pic; reflection, reflexion; scan, CAT scan; sonogram|
- painting, picture - graphic art consisting of an artistic composition made by applying paints to a surface; "a small painting by Picasso"; "he bought the painting as an investment"; "his pictures hang in the Louvre"
--2 is a kind of graphic art
--2 has particulars:
- mental picture, picture, impression - a clear and telling mental image; "he described his mental picture of his assailant"; "he had no clear picture of himself or his world"; "the events left a permanent impression in his mind"
--3 is a kind of image, mental image
- picture, scene - a situation treated as an observable object; "the political picture is favorable"; "the religious scene in England has changed in the last century"
--4 is a kind of situation, state of affairs
- picture, pictorial matter - illustrations used to decorate or explain a text; "the dictionary had many pictures"
--5 is a kind of illustration
- movie, film, picture, moving picture, moving-picture show, motion picture, motion-picture show, picture show, pic, flick - a form of entertainment that enacts a story by a sequence of images giving the illusion of continuous movement; "they went to a movie every Saturday night"; "the film was shot on location"
--6 is a kind of show
--6 has parts:
--6 has particulars:
- video, picture - the visible part of a television transmission; "they could still receive the sound but the picture was gone"
--7 is a kind of visual communication
--7 is a part of television, telecasting, TV, video
- word picture, word-painting, delineation, depiction, picture, characterization, characterisation - a graphic or vivid verbal description; "too often the narrative was interrupted by long word pictures"; "the author gives a depressing picture of life in Poland"; "the pamphlet contained brief characterizations of famous Vermonters"
--8 is a kind of description, verbal description
--8 has particulars: epithet; portrayal, portraiture, portrait
- picture - a typical example of some state or quality; "the very picture of a modern general"; "she was the picture of despair"
--9 is a kind of typification, exemplification
Verb picture has 2 senses
- visualize, visualise, envision, project, fancy, see, figure, picture, image - imagine; conceive of; see in one's mind; "I can't see him on horseback!"; "I can see what will happen"; "I can see a risk in this strategy"
--1 is one way to imagine, conceive of, ideate, envisage
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s that CLAUSE
- picture, depict, render, show - show in, or as in, a picture; "This scene depicts country life"; "the face of the child is rendered with much tenderness in this painting"
--2 is one way to represent, interpret
Somebody ----s something