Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective fancy has 1 sense
- fancy - not plain; decorative or ornamented; "fancy handwriting"; "fancy clothes"
Antonyms: plain, austere, severe, stark, bare, mere, dry, featureless, homely, inelaborate, unelaborate, literal, pure and simple, tailored, trim, chaste, simple
Noun fancy has 3 senses
- illusion, fantasy, phantasy, fancy - something many people believe that is false; "they have the illusion that I am very wealthy"
--1 is a kind of misconception
--1 has particulars: bubble; will-o'-the-wisp, ignis fatuus; wishful thinking
- fancy - fancy was held by Coleridge to be more casual and superficial than imagination
--2 is a kind of imagination, imaginativeness, vision
- fondness, fancy, partiality - a predisposition to like something; "he had a fondness for whiskey"
--3 is a kind of liking
Verb fancy has 2 senses
- visualize, visualise, envision, project, fancy, see, figure, picture, image - imagine; conceive of; see in one's mind; "I can't see him on horseback!"; "I can see what will happen"; "I can see a risk in this strategy"
--1 is one way to imagine, conceive of, ideate, envisage
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s that CLAUSE
- fancy, go for, take to - have a fancy or particular liking or desire for; "She fancied a necklace that she had seen in the jeweler's window"
--2 is one way to desire, want
They fancy more bread
Sam cannot fancy Sue