Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun image has 7 senses
- image, mental image - an iconic mental representation; "her imagination forced images upon her too awful to contemplate"
--1 is a kind of representation, mental representation, internal representation
--1 has particulars:
- picture, image, icon, ikon - a visual representation (of an object or scene or person or abstraction) produced on a surface; "they showed us the pictures of their wedding"; "a movie is a series of images projected so rapidly that the eye integrates them"
--2 is a kind of representation
--2 has particulars:
| ||bitmap, electronic image; chiaroscuro; collage, montage; foil, transparency; iconography; inset; likeness, semblance; panorama, cyclorama, diorama; photograph, photo, exposure, pic; reflection, reflexion; scan, CAT scan; sonogram|
- persona, image - (Jungian psychology) a personal facade that one presents to the world; "a public image is as fragile as Humpty Dumpty"
--3 is a kind of appearance, visual aspect
- prototype, paradigm, epitome, image - a standard or typical example; "he is the prototype of good breeding"; "he provided America with an image of the good father"
--4 is a kind of model, example
--4 has particulars: concentrate; imago
- trope, figure of speech, figure, image - language used in a figurative or nonliteral sense
--5 is a kind of rhetorical device
--5 has particulars:
- double, image, look-alike - someone who closely resembles a famous person (especially an actor); "he could be Gingrich's double"; "she's the very image of her mother"
--6 is a kind of person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, human, soul
--6 has particulars: ringer, dead ringer, clone
- effigy, image, simulacrum - a representation of a person (especially in the form of sculpture); "the coin bears an effigy of Lincoln"; "the emperor's tomb had his image carved in stone"
--7 is a kind of representation
--7 has particulars:
Verb image has 1 sense
- visualize, visualise, envision, project, fancy, see, figure, picture, image - imagine; conceive of; see in one's mind; "I can't see him on horseback!"; "I can see what will happen"; "I can see a risk in this strategy"
--1 is one way to imagine, conceive of, ideate, envisage
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s that CLAUSE