Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun impression has 9 senses
- impression, feeling, belief, notion, opinion - a vague idea in which some confidence is placed; "his impression of her was favorable"; "what are your feelings about the crisis?"; "it strengthened my belief in his sincerity"; "I had a feeling that she was lying"
--1 is a kind of idea, thought
--1 has particulars:
- impression, effect - an outward appearance; "he made a good impression"; "I wanted to create an impression of success"; "she retained that bold effect in her reproductions of the original painting"
--2 is a kind of appearance, visual aspect
--2 has particulars: figure; mark; tout ensemble
- mental picture, picture, impression - a clear and telling mental image; "he described his mental picture of his assailant"; "he had no clear picture of himself or his world"; "the events left a permanent impression in his mind"
--3 is a kind of image, mental image
- depression, impression, imprint - a concavity in a surface produced by pressing; "he left the impression of his fingers in the soft mud"
--4 is a kind of concave shape, concavity, incurvation, incurvature
--4 has particulars:
| ||dimple; groove, channel; dimple; dip; incision, scratch, prick, slit, dent; sag, droop; wrinkle, furrow, crease, crinkle, seam, line; crevice, cranny, crack, fissure, chap|
- stamp, impression - a symbol that is the result of printing; "he put his stamp on the envelope"
--5 is a kind of symbol
--5 has particulars: imprint, embossment; revenue stamp; seal
- impression, printing - all the copies of a work printed at one time; "they ran off an initial printing of 2000 copies"
--6 is a kind of publication
--6 has particulars: edition; proof, test copy, trial impression; mackle
- impression - (dentistry) an imprint of the teeth and gums in wax or plaster; "the dentist took an impression for use in preparing an inlay"
--7 is a kind of imprint
- impression - an impressionistic portrayal of a person; "he did a funny impression of a politician"
--8 is a kind of portrayal, characterization, enactment, personation
- impression - the act of pressing one thing on or into the surface of another; "he watched the impression of the seal on the hot wax"
--9 is a kind of press, pressure, pressing