Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun earth has 7 senses
- Earth, world, globe - the 3rd planet from the sun; the planet on which we live; "the Earth moves around the sun"; "he sailed around the world"
--1 is a kind of terrestrial planet
--1 is a member of solar system
--1 has parts:
- earth, ground - the loose soft material that makes up a large part of the land surface; "they dug into the earth outside the church"
--2 is a kind of material, stuff
--2 has particulars:
- land, dry land, earth, ground, solid ground, terra firma - the solid part of the earth's surface; "the plane turned away from the sea and moved back over land"; "the earth shook for several minutes"; "he dropped the logs on the ground"
--3 is a kind of object, physical object
--3 is a part of Earth, world, globe
--3 has particulars:
- Earth - the abode of mortals (as contrasted with heaven or hell); "it was hell on earth"
--4 is a kind of location
- earth - once thought to be one of four elements composing the universe (Empedocles)
--5 is a kind of element
- worldly concern, earthly concern, world, earth - the concerns of the world as distinguished from heaven and the afterlife; "they consider the church to be independent of the world"
--6 is a kind of concern
- ground, earth - a connection between an electrical device and the earth (which is a zero voltage)
--7 is a kind of connection, connexion, connector, connecter, connective