Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective world has 1 sense
- global, planetary, world, worldwide - involving the entire earth; not limited or provincial in scope; "global war"; "global monetary policy"; "neither national nor continental but planetary"; "a world crisis"; "of worldwide significance"
Antonym: national (indirect, via international)
Noun world has 8 senses
- world, human race, humanity, humankind, human beings, humans, mankind, man - all of the inhabitants of the earth; "all the world loves a lover"; "she always used `humankind' because `mankind' seemed to slight the women"
--1 is a kind of group, grouping
--1 has members: people
- universe, existence, creation, world, cosmos, macrocosm - everything that exists anywhere; "they study the evolution of the universe"; "the biggest tree in existence"
--2 is a kind of natural object
--2 has parts:
--2 has members: galaxy, extragalactic nebula
--2 has particulars: closed universe; natural order; nature
- world, reality - all of your experiences that determine how things appear to you; "his world was shattered"; "we live in different worlds"; "for them demons were as much a part of reality as trees were"
--3 is a kind of experience
--3 has particulars: real world, real life
- world, domain - people in general; especially a distinctive group of people with some shared interest; "the Western world"
--4 is a kind of class, social class, socio-economic class
--4 has particulars: academia, academe; Grub Street
- Earth, world, globe - the 3rd planet from the sun; the planet on which we live; "the Earth moves around the sun"; "he sailed around the world"
--5 is a kind of terrestrial planet
--5 is a member of solar system
--5 has parts:
- worldly concern, earthly concern, world, earth - the concerns of the world as distinguished from heaven and the afterlife; "they consider the church to be independent of the world"
--6 is a kind of concern
- world - a part of the earth that can be considered separately; "the outdoor world"; "the world of insects"
--7 is a kind of part, piece
- populace, public, world - people in general considered as a whole; "he is a hero in the eyes of the public"
--8 is a kind of people
--8 has members: audience
--8 has particulars: admass