Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun soil has 4 senses
- dirt, filth, grime, soil, stain, grease, grunge - the state of being covered with unclean things
--1 is a kind of dirtiness, uncleanness
- soil, dirt - the part of the earth's surface consisting of humus and disintegrated rock
--2 is a kind of earth, ground
--2 has particulars:
| ||marl; regosol; residual soil, residual clay; topsoil, surface soil; subsoil, undersoil; alluvial soil; bog soil; clay; clunch; desert soil, desertic soil; caliche, hardpan; fuller's earth; gilgai soil; gumbo, gumbo soil; humus; indurated clay; Indian red; laterite; loam; loess; mold, mould; mud, clay; bole; podzol, podzol soil, podsol, podsol soil, podsolic soil; prairie soil; sand; sedimentary clay; silt; till, boulder clay; tundra soil; wiesenboden|
- land, ground, soil - material in the top layer of the surface of the earth in which plants can grow (especially with reference to its quality or use); "the land had never been plowed"; "good agricultural soil"
--3 is a kind of object, physical object
--3 has particulars:
| ||badlands; bottomland, bottom; coastland; cultivated land, farmland, plowland, ploughland, tilled land, tillage, tilth; overburden; permafrost; rangeland; turf, sod, sward, greensward; wetland|
- territory, soil - the geographical area under the jurisdiction of a sovereign state; "American troops were stationed on Japanese soil"
--4 is a kind of geographical area, geographic area, geographical region, geographic region
Verb soil has 1 sense
- dirty, soil, begrime, grime, colly, bemire - make soiled, filthy, or dirty; "don't soil your clothes when you play outside!"
--1 is one way to change, alter, modify
Somebody ----s something
Something ----s something