Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun slash has 4 senses
- cut, gash, slash, slice - a wound made by cutting; "he put a bandage over the cut"
--1 is a kind of wound, lesion
- slash - an open tract of land in a forest that is strewn with debris from logging (or fire or wind)
--2 is a kind of land, dry land, earth, ground, solid ground, terra firma
- solidus, slash, virgule, diagonal, stroke, separatrix - a punctuation mark (/) used to separate related items of information
--3 is a kind of punctuation, punctuation mark
- slash, gash - a strong sweeping cut made with a sharp instrument
--4 is a kind of cut, cutting
Verb slash has 5 senses
- slash, cut down - cut with sweeping strokes; as with an ax or machete
--1 is one way to cut
They slash the trees
- flog, welt, whip, lather, lash, slash, strap, trounce - beat severely with a whip or rod; "The teacher often flogged the students"; "The children were severely trounced"
--2 is one way to beat, beat up, work over
They want to slash the prisoners
- slash, gash - cut open; "she slashed her wrists"
--3 is one way to cut
They will slash the duet
- slash - cut drastically; "Prices were slashed"
--4 is one way to reduce, cut down, cut back, trim, trim down, trim back, cut, bring down
Somebody ----s something
Something ----s something
- convulse, thresh, thresh about, thrash, thrash about, slash, toss, jactitate - move or stir about violently; "The feverish patient thrashed around in his bed"
--5 is one way to shake, agitate