Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun atmosphere has 6 senses
- atmosphere, ambiance, ambience - a particular environment or surrounding influence; "there was an atmosphere of excitement"
--1 is a kind of condition, status
--1 has particulars:
| ||genius loci; gloom, gloominess, glumness; miasma; spirit, tone, feel, feeling, flavor, flavour, look, smell; vibe, vibration|
- standard atmosphere, atmosphere, atm, standard pressure - a unit of pressure: the pressure that will support a column of mercury 760 mm high at sea level and 0 degrees centigrade
--2 is a kind of pressure unit
--2 has particulars: STP, s.t.p.
- atmosphere, air - the mass of air surrounding the Earth; "there was great heat as the comet entered the atmosphere"; "it was exposed to the air"
--3 is a kind of region, part
--3 is a part of Earth, world, globe
--3 has parts: airspace, air space; ionosphere
--3 has particulars: airspace
- atmosphere, atmospheric state - the weather or climate at some place; "the atmosphere was thick with fog"
--4 is a kind of weather, weather condition, atmospheric condition
--4 has particulars:
- atmosphere - the envelope of gases surrounding any celestial body
--5 is a kind of gas
--5 has part:
- air, aura, atmosphere - a distinctive but intangible quality surrounding a person or thing; "an air of mystery"; "the house had a neglected air"; "an atmosphere of defeat pervaded the candidate's headquarters"; "the place had an aura of romance"
--6 is a kind of quality
--6 has particulars: mystique; note; vibrations