Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun import has 5 senses
- import, importation - commodities (goods or services) bought from a foreign country
--1 is a kind of commodity, trade goods, goods
Antonyms: export, exportation
- import, importee - an imported person brought from a foreign country; "the lead role was played by an import from Sweden"; "they are descendants of indentured importees"
--2 is a kind of foreigner, alien, noncitizen, outlander
- meaning, significance, signification, import - the message that is intended or expressed or signified; "what is the meaning of this sentence"; "the significance of a red traffic light"; "the signification of Chinese characters"; "the import of his announcement was ambigtuous"
--3 is a kind of message, content, subject matter, substance
--3 has particulars:
| ||lexical meaning; grammatical meaning; symbolization, symbolisation; sense, signified; intension, connotation; referent; effect, essence, burden, core, gist; intent, purport, spirit; moral, lesson; nuance, nicety, shade, subtlety, refinement; overtone; point|
- significance, import, implication - a meaning that is not expressly stated but can be inferred; "the significance of his remark became clear only later"; "the expectation was spread both by word and by implication"
--4 is a kind of meaning, substance
- consequence, import, moment - having important effects or influence; "decisions of great consequence are made by the president himself"; "virtue is of more moment that security"
--5 is a kind of significance
--5 has particulars: matter; hell to pay