Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun sense has 5 senses
- sense - a general conscious awareness; "a sense of security"; "a sense of happiness"; "a sense of danger"; "a sense of self"
--1 is a kind of awareness, consciousness, cognizance, cognisance, knowingness
--1 has particulars: sense of direction; sense of responsibility
- sense, signified - the meaning of a word or expression; the way in which a word or expression or situation can be interpreted; "the dictionary gave several senses for the word"; "in the best sense charity is really a duty"; "the signifier is linked to the signified"
--2 is a kind of meaning, significance, signification, import
--2 has particulars: word meaning, word sense, acceptation
- sense, sensation, sentience, sentiency, sensory faculty - the faculty through which the external world is apprehended; "in the dark he had to depend on touch and on his senses of smell and hearing"
--3 is a kind of faculty, mental faculty, module
--3 has particulars:
- common sense, good sense, gumption, horse sense, sense, mother wit - sound practical judgment; "I can't see the sense in doing it now"; "he hasn't got the sense God gave little green apples"; "fortunately she had the good sense to run away"
--4 is a kind of sagacity, sagaciousness, judgment, judgement, discernment
--4 has particulars: logic; nous; road sense
- sense - a natural appreciation or ability; "a keen musical sense"; "a good sense of timing"
--5 is a kind of appreciation, grasp, hold