Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Adjective happening has 1 sense
- happening - taking place; "the parade is still happening"
Antonyms: off, cancelled (indirect, via on)
Noun happening has 1 sense
- happening, occurrence, natural event - an event that happens
--1 is a kind of event
--1 has particulars:
| ||accompaniment, concomitant, co-occurrence; avalanche; experience; trouble; treat; miracle; wonder, marvel; thing; episode; eventuality, contingency, contingence; beginning; ending, conclusion, finish; one-off; periodic event, recurrent event; change, alteration, modification; error, computer error; accident, fortuity, chance event; fire; incident; discharge; case, instance, example; movement, motion; failure; success; appearance; destiny, fate; disappearance; contact, impinging, striking; finish; interruption, break; sound; union; news event; flash; convergence; juncture, occasion; outburst, burst, flare-up; outbreak, eruption, irruption; reverse, reversal, setback, blow, black eye; boom, bonanza, gold rush, gravy, godsend, manna from heaven, windfall, bunce; crash, collapse; supervention|
Verb happen has 5 senses
- happen, hap, go on, pass off, occur, pass, fall out, come about, take place - come to pass; "What is happening?"; "The meeting took place off without an incidence"; "Nothing occurred that seemed important"
Something is ----ing PP
It ----s that CLAUSE
- happen, befall, bechance - happen, occur, or be the case in the course of events or by chance; "It happens that today is my birthday"; "These things befell" (Santayana)
--2 is one way to happen, hap, go on, pass off, occur, pass, fall out, come about, take place
- happen - chance to be or do something, without intention or causation; "I happen to have just what you need!"
--3 is one way to chance
Somebody ----s to INFINITIVE
It ----s that CLAUSE
- happen, materialize, materialise - come into being; become reality; "Her dream really materialized"
--4 is one way to happen, hap, go on, pass off, occur, pass, fall out, come about, take place
- find, happen, chance, bump, encounter - come upon, as if by accident; meet with; "We find this idea in Plato"; "I happened upon the most wonderful bakery not very far from here"; "She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day"
Somebody ----s something