Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun water has 6 senses
- water, H2O - binary compound that occurs at room temperature as a clear colorless odorless tasteless liquid; freezes into ice below 0 degrees centigrade and boils above 100 degrees centigrade; widely used as a solvent
--1 is a kind of binary compound; liquid
--1 is a substance of
--1 has substances:
--1 has particulars:
| ||tear, teardrop; perspiration, sweat, sudor; dewdrop; snowflake, flake; ice, water ice; ice crystal, snow mist, diamond dust, poudrin, ice needle, frost snow, frost mist; body of water, water|
- body of water, water - the part of the earth's surface covered with water (such as a river or lake or ocean); "they invaded our territorial waters"; "they were sitting by the water's edge"
--2 is a kind of thing
--2 is a part of hydrosphere; surface, Earth's surface
--2 has substances: water, H2O
--2 has particulars:
- water system, water supply, water - facility that provides a source of water; "the town debated the purification of the water supply"; "first you have to cut off the water"
--3 is a kind of facility, installation
--3 is a part of infrastructure, base
--3 has parts: reservoir, artificial lake; water main
- water - once thought to be one of four elements composing the universe (Empedocles)
--4 is a kind of element
- urine, piss, pee, piddle, weewee, water - liquid excretory product; "there was blood in his urine"; "the child had to make water"
--5 is a kind of body waste, excretion, excreta, excrement, excretory product
- water - a fluid necessary for the life of most animals and plants; "he asked for a drink of water"
--6 is a kind of food, nutrient
--6 has particulars: branch water; spring water; drinking water