Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective surface has 2 senses
- surface - on the surface; "surface materials of the moon"
Antonyms: subsurface, belowground, underground, submarine, undersea, submerged, submersed, underwater, subterranean, subterraneous, overhead, elevated
- skin-deep, superficial, surface - involving a surface only; "her beauty is only skin-deep"; "superficial bruising"; "a surface wound"
Antonym: deep (indirect, via shallow)
Noun surface has 6 senses
- surface - the outer boundary of an artifact or a material layer constituting or resembling such a boundary; "there is a special cleaner for these surfaces"; "the cloth had a pattern of red dots on a white surface"
--1 is a kind of artifact, artefact
--1 has particulars:
- surface - the extended two-dimensional outer boundary of a three-dimensional object; "they skimmed over the surface of the water"; "a brush small enough to clean every dental surface"; "the sun has no distinct surface"
--2 is a kind of boundary, bound, bounds
--2 has particulars:
| ||interface; hard palate; palate, roof of the mouth; side, face; celestial sphere, sphere, empyrean, firmament, heavens, vault of heaven, welkin; end; inside, interior; outside, exterior; wave front, wavefront; photosphere|
- surface, Earth's surface - the outermost level of the land or sea; "earthquakes originate far below the surface"; "three quarters of the Earth's surface is covered by water"
--3 is a kind of layer
--3 is a part of lithosphere, geosphere
--3 has parts: body of water, water; opening, gap
--3 has particulars: floor
- surface - a superficial aspect as opposed to the real nature of something; "it was not what it appeared to be on the surface"
--4 is a kind of aspect, facet
- open, surface - information that has become public; "all the reports were out in the open"; "the facts had been brought to the surface"
--5 is a kind of public knowledge, general knowledge
- airfoil, aerofoil, control surface, surface - a device that provides reactive force when in motion relative to the surrounding air; can lift or control a plane in flight
--6 is a kind of device
--6 has parts: leading edge; trailing edge
--6 has particulars:
Verb surface has 3 senses
- surface, come up, rise up, rise - come to the surface
--1 is one way to ascend, go up
- coat, surface - put a coat on; cover the surface of; furnish with a surface; "coat the cake with chocolate"
--2 is one way to cover
Somebody ----s something
Something ----s something
- come on, come out, turn up, surface, show up - appear or become visible; make a showing; "She turned up at the funeral"; "I hope the list key is going to surface again"
--3 is one way to appear
Something is ----ing PP
Somebody ----s PP