Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun drink has 5 senses
- drink - a single serving of a beverage; "I asked for a hot drink"; "likes a drink before dinner"
--1 is a kind of helping, portion, serving
--1 has particulars:
| ||chaser; draft, draught, potation, tipple; pledge, toast; libation; eye opener; nightcap; hair of the dog; shandygaff, shandy; stirrup cup; sundowner; posset; syllabub, sillabub; sangaree, sangria; whiskey neat, whisky neat; whiskey on the rocks, whisky on the rocks; ice-cream soda, ice-cream float, float; milkshake, milk shake, shake; frappe|
- drink, drinking, boozing, drunkenness, crapulence - the act of drinking alcoholic beverages to excess; "drink was his downfall"
--2 is a kind of intemperance, intemperateness
--2 has particulars: drinking bout
- beverage, drink, drinkable, potable - any liquid suitable for drinking; "may I take your beverage order?"
--3 is a kind of food, nutrient; liquid
--3 has particulars:
| ||milk; wish-wash; potion; alcohol, alcoholic beverage, intoxicant, inebriant; hydromel; near beer; ginger beer; mixer; cooler; refresher; smoothie; fizz; cider, cyder; cocoa, chocolate, hot chocolate, drinking chocolate; fruit juice, fruit crush; fruit drink, ade; mate; soft drink; coffee, java; tea; drinking water|
- drink - any large deep body of water; "he jumped into the drink and had to be rescued"
--4 is a kind of body of water, water
- swallow, drink, deglutition - the act of swallowing; "one swallow of the liquid was enough"; "he took a drink of his beer and smacked his lips"
--5 is a kind of consumption, ingestion, intake, uptake
--5 has particulars:
Verb drink has 5 senses
- drink, imbibe - take in liquids; "The patient must drink several liters each day"; "The children like to drink soda"
--1 is one way to consume, ingest, take in, take, have
The animals drink
- drink, booze, fuddle - consume alcohol; "We were up drinking all night"
--2 is one way to consume, ingest, take in, take, have
- toast, drink, pledge, salute, wassail - propose a toast to; "Let us toast the birthday girl!"; "Let's drink to the New Year"
--3 is one way to honor, honour, reward
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody
=> Somebody ----s PP
- drink in, drink - be fascinated or spell-bound by; pay close attention to; "The mother drinks in every word of her son on the stage"
--4 is one way to steep, immerse, engulf, plunge, engross, absorb, soak up
Somebody ----s something
- drink, tope - drink excessive amounts of alcohol; be an alcoholic; "The husband drinks and beats his wife"
--5 is one way to use, habituate