Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective second has 4 senses
- second, 2nd, 2d - coming next after the first in position in space or time or degree or magnitude
Antonym: cardinal (indirect, via ordinal)
- second - coming next after first; "a second chance"; "the second vice president"
Antonym: first (indirect, via last, intermediate)
Antonym: last (indirect, via intermediate, first)
- second - a part or voice or instrument or orchestra section lower in pitch than or subordinate to the first; "second flute"; "the second violins"
- second - having the second highest gear ratio; "second gear"
Antonym: reverse (indirect, via forward)
Adverbial second has 1 sense
- second, secondly - in the second place; "second, we must consider the economy"
Noun second has 10 senses
- second, sec, s - 1/60 of a minute; the basic unit of time adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites
--1 is a kind of time unit, unit of time
--1 is a part of minute, min
--1 has parts: millisecond, msec
--1 has particulars: leap second
- moment, minute, second, bit - an indefinitely short time; "wait just a moment"; "it only takes a minute"; "in just a bit"
--2 is a kind of time
--2 has particulars:
- second base, second - the fielding position of the player on a baseball team who is stationed near 2nd base
--3 is a kind of position
--3 is a member of baseball team
- moment, minute, second, instant - a particular point in time; "the moment he arrived the party began"
--4 is a kind of point, point in time
--4 has particulars:
- second - following the first in an ordering or series; "he came in a close second"
--5 is a kind of rank
--5 has particulars: latter
- second, arcsecond - a 60th part of a minute of arc; "the treasure is 2 minutes and 45 seconds south of here"
--6 is a kind of angular unit
--6 is a part of minute, arcminute, minute of arc
- second - the official attendant of a contestant in a duel or boxing match
--7 is a kind of attendant, attender, tender
- second, secondment, endorsement, indorsement - a speech seconding a motion; "do I hear a second?"
--8 is a kind of agreement
- second gear, second - the gear that has the second lowest forward gear ratio in the gear box of a motor vehicle; "he had to shift down into second to make the hill"
--9 is a kind of gear, gear mechanism
--9 is a part of motor vehicle, automotive vehicle
- irregular, second - merchandise that has imperfections; usually sold at a reduced price without the brand name
--10 is a kind of merchandise, wares, product