Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective instant has 3 senses
- instantaneous, instant - occurring with no delay; "relief was instantaneous"; "instant gratification"
Antonym: slow (indirect, via fast)
- instant, inst - in or of the present month; "your letter of the 10th inst"
Antonym: future (indirect, via past, present)
Antonym: past (indirect, via present, future)
- clamant, crying, exigent, insistent, instant - demanding attention; "clamant needs"; "a crying need"; "regarded literary questions as exigent and momentous"- H.L.Mencken; "insistent hunger"; "an instant need"
Antonym: beseeching (indirect, via imperative)
Noun instant has 2 senses
- blink of an eye, flash, heartbeat, instant, jiffy, split second, trice, twinkling, wink, New York minute - a very short time (as the time it takes the eye blink or the heart to beat); "if I had the chance I'd do it in a flash"
--1 is a kind of moment, minute, second, bit
- moment, minute, second, instant - a particular point in time; "the moment he arrived the party began"
--2 is a kind of point, point in time
--2 has particulars: