Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun respect has 7 senses
- respect, regard - (usually preceded by `in') a detail or point; "it differs in that respect"
--1 is a kind of message, content, subject matter, substance; detail, item, point; message, content, subject matter, substance; detail, item, point
- esteem, regard, respect - the condition of being honored (esteemed or respected or well regarded); "it is held in esteem"; "a man who has earned high regard"
--2 is a kind of honor, honour, laurels; honor, honour, laurels
--2 has particulars: stature
- respect, esteem, regard - an attitude of admiration or esteem; "she lost all respect for him"
--3 is a kind of attitude, mental attitude; attitude, mental attitude
--3 has particulars: estimate, estimation
- deference, respect - a courteous expression (by word or deed) of esteem or regard; "his deference to her wishes was very flattering"; "be sure to give my respects to the dean"
--4 is a kind of politeness, civility; politeness, civility
--4 has particulars: court, homage; last respects; props
- obedience, respect - behavior intended to please your parents; "their children were never very strong on obedience"; "he went to law school out of respect for his father's wishes"
--5 is a kind of filial duty; filial duty
- regard, respect - a feeling of friendship and esteem; "she mistook his manly regard for love"; "he inspires respect"
--6 is a kind of affection, affectionateness, fondness, tenderness, heart, warmheartedness; affection, affectionateness, fondness, tenderness, heart, warmheartedness
- deference, respect, respectfulness - courteous regard for people's feelings; "in deference to your wishes"; "out of respect for his privacy"
--7 is a kind of courtesy, good manners; courtesy, good manners
Verb respect has 2 senses
- respect, esteem, value, prize, prise - regard highly; think much of; "I respect his judgement"; "We prize his creativity"
--1 is one way to see, consider, reckon, view, regard
Antonyms: disrespect, disesteem
Sam cannot respect Sue
- respect, honor, honour, abide by, observe - show respect towards; "honor your parents!"
--2 is one way to accept
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody