Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun heart has 10 senses
- heart, bosom - the locus of feelings and intuitions; "in your heart you know it is true"; "her story would melt your bosom"
--1 is a kind of intuition, hunch, suspicion
- heart, pump, ticker - the hollow muscular organ located behind the sternum and between the lungs; its rhythmic contractions pump blood through the body; "he stood still, his heart thumping wildly"
--2 is a kind of internal organ, viscus
--2 is a part of circulatory system, cardiovascular system
--2 has parts:
--2 has particulars: athlete's heart; biauriculate heart
- heart, mettle, nerve, spunk - the courage to carry on; "he kept fighting on pure spunk"; "you haven't got the heart for baseball"
--3 is a kind of courage, courageousness, bravery
- center, centre, middle, heart, eye - an area that is approximately central within some larger region; "it is in the center of town"; "they ran forward into the heart of the struggle"; "they were in the eye of the storm"
--4 is a kind of area, country
--4 has particulars:
- kernel, substance, core, center, essence, gist, heart, heart and soul, inwardness, marrow, meat, nub, pith, sum, nitty-gritty - the choicest or most essential or most vital part of some idea or experience; "the gist of the prosecutor's argument"; "the heart and soul of the Republican Party"; "the nub of the story"
--5 is a kind of content, cognitive content, mental object
--5 has particulars:
- heart, spirit - an inclination or tendency of a certain kind; "he had a change of heart"
--6 is a kind of disposition, temperament
- heart - a plane figure with rounded sides curving inward at the top and intersecting at the bottom; conventionally used on playing cards and valentines; "he drew a heart and called it a valentine"
--7 is a kind of plane figure, two-dimensional figure
- heart - a firm rather dry variety meat (usually beef or veal); "a five-pound beef heart will serve six"
--8 is a kind of variety meat, organs
- affection, affectionateness, fondness, tenderness, heart, warmheartedness - a positive feeling of liking; "he had trouble expressing the affection he felt"; "the child won everyone's heart"
--9 is a kind of feeling
--9 has particulars:
- heart - a playing card in the major suit of hearts; "he led the queen of hearts"
--10 is a kind of playing card
--10 is a member of major suit