Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun region has 5 senses
- region, part - the extended spatial location of something; "the farming regions of France"; "religions in all parts of the world"; "regions of outer space"
--1 is a kind of location
--1 has particulars:
| ||atmosphere, air; biosphere; depth; interplanetary space; interstellar space; heliosphere; intergalactic space; deep space; aerospace; zone; belt; bottom; county; distance; eden, paradise, nirvana, heaven, promised land, Shangri-la; extremity; D-layer, D region; Appleton layer, F layer, F region; Heaviside layer, Kennelly-Heaviside layer, E layer, E region; hell, hell on earth, hellhole, snake pit, the pits, inferno; inside, interior; ionosphere; layer; outside, exterior; radius; side; air; vacuum, vacuity; top; zodiac; sign of the zodiac, star sign, sign, mansion, house, planetary house; Witwatersrand, Rand, Reef; black hole; mare, maria|
- area, region - a part of an animal that has a special function or is supplied by a given artery or nerve; "in the abdominal region"
--2 is a kind of body part
--2 has particulars:
| ||erogenous zone; hypochondrium; area of cardiac dullness; epigastrium; fovea, fovea centralis; parafovea; macula, macula lutea, macular area, yellow spot; cortical area, cortical region; perineum; side; cleavage; areola, ring of color; middle, midriff, midsection; waist, waistline; pubes, pubic region, loins; palm, thenar; thenar; sole; half-moon, lunula, lunule; groin, inguen; quick|
- region - a large indefinite location on the surface of the Earth; "penguins inhabit the polar regions"
--3 is a kind of location
--3 has particulars:
| ||area, country; backwater; breadbasket; theater of war, theatre of war; field, field of operations, theater, theater of operations, theatre, theatre of operations; zone of interior; district, territory, territorial dominion, dominion; domain, demesne, land; Old World; Far East; North, northland, septentrion; South, southland; field; geographical area, geographic area, geographical region, geographic region; biogeographical region; heartland; irredenta, irridenta; antipodes; unknown, unknown region, terra incognita; testing ground, laboratory; West, Occident|
- region, neighborhood - the approximate amount of something (usually used prepositionally as in `in the region of'); "it was going to take in the region of two or three months to finish the job"; "the price is in the neighborhood of $100"
--4 is a kind of indefinite quantity
- domain, region, realm - a knowledge domain that you are interested in or are communicating about; "it was a limited domain of discourse"; "here we enter the region of opinion"; "the realm of the occult"
--5 is a kind of knowledge domain, knowledge base