Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective bare has 11 senses
- bare - denuded of leaves; "the bare branches of winter"
Antonym: leafy (indirect, via leafless)
- bare, au naturel, naked, nude - completely unclothed; "bare bodies"; "naked from the waist up"; "a nude model"
Antonyms: clothed, clad (indirect, via unclothed)
- bare, scanty, spare - lacking in amplitude or quantity; "a bare livelihood"; "a scanty harvest"; "a spare diet"
Antonym: ample (indirect, via meager)
- bald, bare, denuded, denudate - without the natural or usual covering; "a bald spot on the lawn"; "bare hills"
Antonym: covered (indirect, via uncovered)
- unsheathed, bare - not having a protective covering; "unsheathed cables"; "a bare blade"
- bare, marginal - just barely adequate or within a lower limit; "a bare majority"; "a marginal victory"
Antonym: wide (indirect, via narrow)
- bare, mere, simple - apart from anything else; without additions or modifications; "only the bare facts"; "shocked by the mere idea"; "the simple passage of time was enough"; "the simple truth"
Antonym: fancy (indirect, via plain)
- bare, unfinished - lacking a surface finish such as paint; "bare wood"; "unfinished furniture"
Antonym: painted (indirect, via unpainted)
- bare, barren, bleak, desolate, stark - providing no shelter or sustenance; "bare rocky hills"; "barren lands"; "the bleak treeless regions of the high Andes"; "the desolate surface of the moon"; "a stark landscape"
Antonym: hospitable (indirect, via inhospitable)
- bare, stripped - having extraneous everything removed including contents; "the bare walls"; "the cupboard was bare"
Antonym: full (indirect, via empty)
- bare - showing ground without the usual covering of grass; "a carefully swept bare yard around the house"
Antonym: grassy (indirect, via grassless)