Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective black has 15 senses
- black, achromatic - being of the achromatic color of maximum darkness; having little or no hue owing to absorption of almost all incident light; "black leather jackets"; "as black as coal"; "rich black soil"
Antonyms: white, achromatic, albescent
- black - of or belonging to a racial group having dark skin especially of sub-Saharan African origin; "a great people--a black people--...injected new meaning and dignity into the veins of civilization"- Martin Luther King Jr.
Antonyms: white, caucasian, caucasoid, light-skinned
- black - marked by anger or resentment or hostility; "black looks"; "black words"
Antonym: unangry (indirect, via angry)
- black, dark, sinister - stemming from evil characteristics or forces; wicked or dishonorable; "black deeds"; "a black lie"; "his black heart has concocted yet another black deed"; "Darth Vader of the dark side"; "a dark purpose"; "dark undercurrents of ethnic hostility"; "the scheme of some sinister intelligence bent on punishing him"-Thomas Hardy
Antonym: good (indirect, via evil)
- black, bleak, dim - offering little or no hope; "the future looked black"; "prospects were bleak"; "Life in the Aran Islands has always been bleak and difficult"- J.M.Synge; "took a dim view of things"
Antonym: hopeful (indirect, via hopeless)
- black, calamitous, disastrous, fatal, fateful - (of events) having extremely unfortunate or dire consequences; bringing ruin; "the stock market crashed on Black Friday"; "a calamitous defeat"; "the battle was a disastrous end to a disastrous campaign"; "such doctrines, if true, would be absolutely fatal to my theory"- Charles Darwin; "it is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it"- Douglas MacArthur; "a fateful error"
Antonym: fortunate (indirect, via unfortunate)
- black, blackened - (of the face) made black especially as with suffused blood; "a face black with fury"
Antonyms: uncolored, uncoloured (indirect, via colored)
- black, pitch-black, pitch-dark - extremely dark; "a black moonless night"; "through the pitch-black woods"; "it was pitch-dark in the celler"
Antonym: light (indirect, via dark)
- black, grim, mordant - harshly ironic or sinister; "black humor"; "a grim joke"; "grim laughter"; "fun ranging from slapstick clowning ... to savage mordant wit"
Antonym: unsarcastic (indirect, via sarcastic)
- black - (of intelligence operations) deliberately misleading; "black propaganda"
Antonyms: overt, open (indirect, via covert)
- bootleg, black, black-market, contraband, smuggled - distributed or sold illicitly; "the black economy pays no taxes"
Antonym: legal (indirect, via illegal)
- black, disgraceful, ignominious, inglorious, opprobrious, shameful - (used of conduct or character) deserving or bringing disgrace or shame; "Man...has written one of his blackest records as a destroyer on the oceanic islands"- Rachel Carson; "an ignominious retreat"; "inglorious defeat"; "an opprobrious monument to human greed"; "a shameful display of cowardice"
Antonyms: honorable, honourable (indirect, via dishonorable)
- black - (of coffee) without cream or sugar
Antonyms: diluted, dilute (indirect, via undiluted)
- black - dressed in black; "a black knight"; "black friars"
Antonym: unclothed (indirect, via clothed)
- black - soiled with dirt or soot; "with feet black from playing outdoors"; "his shirt was black within an hour"
Antonym: clean (indirect, via dirty)
Noun black has 7 senses
- black, blackness - the quality or state of the achromatic color of least lightness (bearing the least resemblance to white)
--1 is a kind of achromatic color, achromatic colour
Antonyms: white, whiteness
--1 has particulars:
- total darkness, lightlessness, blackness, pitch blackness, black - total absence of light; "they fumbled around in total darkness"; "in the black of night"
--2 is a kind of dark, darkness
- Black, Joseph Black - British chemist who identified carbon dioxide and who formulated the concepts of specific heat and latent heat (1728-1799)
--3 is a kind of chemist
- Black, Shirley Temple Black, Shirley Temple - popular child actress of the 1930's (born 1927)
--4 is a kind of actress
- Black, Black person, blackamoor, Negro, Negroid - a person with dark skin who comes from Africa (or whose ancestors came from Africa)
--5 is a kind of person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, human, soul; person of color, person of colour
--5 is a member of Black race, Negroid race, Negro race
--5 has particulars:
| ||Negress; Black man; Black woman; colored person, colored; darky, darkie, darkey; nigger, nigga, spade, coon, jigaboo, nigra; Tom, Uncle Tom; pickaninny, piccaninny, picaninny|
- black - (board games) the darker pieces
--6 is a kind of man, piece
- black - black clothing (worn as a sign of mourning); "the widow wore black"
--7 is a kind of clothing, article of clothing, vesture, wear