Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun smell has 5 senses
- smell, odor, odour, olfactory sensation, olfactory perception - the sensation that results when olfactory receptors in the nose are stimulated by particular chemicals in gaseous form; "she loved the smell of roses"
--1 is a kind of sensation, sense experience, sense impression, sense datum
--1 has particulars:
| ||scent; aroma, fragrance, perfume, scent; malodor, malodour, stench, stink, reek, fetor, foetor, mephitis; acridity|
- olfactory property, smell, aroma, odor, odour, scent - any property detected by the olfactory system
--2 is a kind of property
--2 has particulars:
- spirit, tone, feel, feeling, flavor, flavour, look, smell - the general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people; "the feel of the city excited him"; "a clergyman improved the tone of the meeting"; "it had the smell of treason"
--3 is a kind of atmosphere, ambiance, ambience
--3 has particulars: Hollywood; Zeitgeist
- smell, sense of smell, olfaction, olfactory modality - the faculty of smell
--4 is a kind of modality, sense modality, sensory system; exteroception
--4 has particulars: nose
- smell, smelling - the act of perceiving the odor of something
--5 is a kind of sensing, perception
--5 has particulars: sniff, snuff