Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun relation has 6 senses
- relation - an abstraction belonging to or characteristic of two entities or parts together
--1 is a kind of abstraction
--1 has particulars:
| ||social relation; position, spatial relation; ownership; causality; relationship, human relationship; function; association; logical relation; mathematical relation; foundation; connection, connexion, connectedness; unconnectedness; linguistic relation; part, portion, component part, component; affinity, kinship; kinship, family relationship, relationship; magnitude relation, quantitative relation; control; business relation; reciprocality, reciprocity; interrelation, interrelationship, interrelatedness; temporal relation; comparison; opposition, oppositeness; change|
- sexual intercourse, intercourse, sex act, copulation, coitus, coition, sexual congress, congress, sexual relation, relation, carnal knowledge - the act of sexual procreation between a man and a woman; the man's penis is inserted into the woman's vagina and excited until orgasm and ejaculation occur
--2 is a kind of sexual activity, sexual practice, sex, sex activity
--2 has parts: insemination
--2 has particulars:
| ||defloration; fuck, fucking, screw, screwing, ass, nooky, nookie, piece of ass, piece of tail, roll in the hay, shag, shtup; hank panky; penetration; unlawful carnal knowledge, criminal congress|
- relative, relation - a person related by blood or marriage; "police are searching for relatives of the deceased"; "he has distant relations back in New Jersey"
--3 is a kind of person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, human, soul
--3 is a member of
--3 has particulars:
| ||ancestor, ascendant, ascendent, antecedent, root; cousin, first cousin, cousin-german, full cousin; descendant, descendent; in-law, relative-in-law; blood relation, blood relative, cognate, sib; kin, kinsperson, family; enate, matrikin, matrilineal kin, matrisib, matrilineal sib; agnate, patrikin, patrilineal kin, patrisib, patrilineal sib; kinsman; kinswoman; kissing cousin, kissing kin; next of kin; offspring, progeny, issue; second cousin; sibling, sib; spouse, partner, married person, mate, better half|
- relation, telling, recounting - an act of narration; "he was the hero according to his own relation"; "his endless recounting of the incident eventually became unbearable"
--4 is a kind of narration, recital, yarn
- relation back, relation - (law) the principle that an act done at a later time is deemed by law to have occurred at an earlier time; "his attorney argued for the relation back of the ammended complaint to the time the initial complaint was filed"
--5 is a kind of legal principle, judicial principle, judicial doctrine
- relation - (usually plural) mutual dealings or connections among persons or groups; "international relations"
--6 is a kind of dealings, traffic