Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun function has 7 senses
- function, mathematical function - a mathematical relation such that each element of one set is associated with at least one element of another set
--1 is a kind of mathematical relation
--1 has particulars:
- function, purpose, role, use - what something is used for; "the function of an auger is to bore holes"; "ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
--2 is a kind of utility, usefulness
--2 has particulars: raison d'etre
- function, office, part, role - the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group; "the function of a teacher"; "the government must do its part"; "play its role"
--3 is a kind of duty
--3 has particulars:
- function - a relation such that one thing is dependent on another; "height is a function of age"; "price is a function of supply and demand"
--4 is a kind of relation
- function - a formal or official social gathering or ceremony; "it was a black-tie function"
--5 is a kind of social gathering, social affair
- affair, occasion, social occasion, function, social function - a vaguely specified social event; "the party was quite an affair"; "an occasion arranged to honor the president"; "a seemingly endless round of social functions"
--6 is a kind of social event
--6 has particulars:
- routine, subroutine, subprogram, procedure, function - a set sequence of steps, part of larger computer program
--7 is a kind of software, software system, software package, package
--7 is a part of program, programme, computer program, computer programme
--7 has particulars:
Verb function has 3 senses
- function, work, operate, go, run - perform as expected when applied; "The washing machine won't go unless it's plugged in"; "Does this old car still run well?"; "This old radio doesn't work anymore"
Antonyms: malfunction, misfunction
These cars won't function
- serve, function - serve a purpose, role, or function; "The tree stump serves as a table"; "The female students served as a control group"; "This table would serve very well"; "His freedom served him well"; "The table functions as a desk"
--2 is one way to suffice, do, answer, serve
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s something
- officiate, function - perform duties attached to a particular office or place or function; "His wife officiated as his private secretary"
--3 is one way to serve
Somebody ----s PP