Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun orbit has 5 senses
- orbit, celestial orbit - the (usually elliptical) path described by one celestial body in its revolution about another; "he plotted the orbit of the moon"
--1 is a kind of path, route, itinerary
--1 has parts: apoapsis, point of apoapsis; periapsis, point of periapsis
--1 has particulars: geosynchronous orbit
- sphere, domain, area, orbit, field, arena - a particular environment or walk of life; "his social sphere is limited"; "it was a closed area of employment"; "he's out of my orbit"
--2 is a kind of environment
--2 has particulars:
- scope, range, reach, orbit, compass, ambit - an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control: "the range of a supersonic jet"; "the ambit of municipal legislation"; "within the compass of this article"; "within the scope of an investigation"; "outside the reach of the law"; "in the political orbit of a world power"
--3 is a kind of extent
--3 has particulars:
- orbit, electron orbit - the path of an electron around the nucleus of an atom
--4 is a kind of path, route, itinerary
- eye socket, orbit, cranial orbit, orbital cavity - the bony cavity in the skull containing the eyeball
--5 is a kind of cavity, bodily cavity, cavum
--5 is a part of skull
--5 has parts: lacrimal bone
Verb orbit has 1 sense
- orbit, revolve - move in an orbit; "The moon orbits around the Earth"; "The planets are orbiting the sun"; "electrons orbit the nucleus"
--1 is one way to circle, circulate
Something is ----ing PP
Something ----s something