Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun opinion has 6 senses
- opinion, sentiment, persuasion, view, thought - a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty; "my opinion differs from yours"; "what are your thoughts on Haiti?"
--1 is a kind of belief
--1 has particulars:
- public opinion, popular opinion, opinion, vox populi - a belief or sentiment shared by most people; the voice of the people; "he asked for a poll of public opinion"
--2 is a kind of belief
- opinion, view - a message expressing a belief about something; the expression of a belief that is held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof; "his opinions appeared frequently on the editorial page"
--3 is a kind of message, content, subject matter, substance
--3 has particulars:
- opinion, legal opinion, judgment, judgement - the legal document stating the reasons for a judicial decision; "opinions are usually written by a single judge"
--4 is a kind of legal document, legal instrument, official document, instrument
--4 has particulars:
- opinion, ruling - the reason for a court's judgment (as opposed to the decision itself)
--5 is a kind of judgment, judgement, judicial decision
--5 has particulars: Bakke decision; fatwa
- impression, feeling, belief, notion, opinion - a vague idea in which some confidence is placed; "his impression of her was favorable"; "what are your feelings about the crisis?"; "it strengthened my belief in his sincerity"; "I had a feeling that she was lying"
--6 is a kind of idea, thought
--6 has particulars: