Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun use has 7 senses
- use, usage, utilization, utilisation, employment, exercise - the act of using; "he warned against the use of narcotic drugs"; "skilled in the utilization of computers"
--1 is a kind of activity
--1 has particulars:
- use - a particular service; "he put his knowledge to good use"; "patrons have their uses"
--2 is a kind of utility, usefulness
- function, purpose, role, use - what something is used for; "the function of an auger is to bore holes"; "ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
--3 is a kind of utility, usefulness
--3 has particulars: raison d'etre
- consumption, economic consumption, usance, use, use of goods and services - (economics) the utilization of economic goods to satisfy needs or in manufacturing; "the consumption of energy has increased steadily"
--4 is a kind of demand
--4 has particulars: conspicuous consumption
- habit, use, wont - a pattern of behavior acquired through frequent repetition; "she had a habit twirling the ends of her hair"; "long use had hardened him to it"
--5 is a kind of custom, usage, usance
--5 has particulars: ritual; second nature; cleanliness; uncleanliness
- use, enjoyment - (law) the exercise of the legal right to enjoy the benefits of owning property; "we were given the use of his boat"
--6 is a kind of legal right
--6 has particulars: fair use; fruition
- manipulation, use - exerting shrewd or devious influence especially for one's own advantage; "his manipulation of his friends was scandalous"
--7 is a kind of influence
--7 has particulars: mind game
Verb use has 6 senses
- use, utilize, utilise, apply, employ - put into service; make work or employ (something) for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose; "use your head!"; "we only use Spanish at home"; "I can't make use of this tool"; "Apply a magnetic field here"; "This thinking was applied to many projects"; "How do you utilize this tool?"; "I apply this rule to get good results"; "use the plastic bags to store the food"; "He doesn't know how to use a computer"
They use the animals
- use, habituate - take or consume (regularly or habitually); "She uses drugs rarely"
--2 is one way to consume, ingest, take in, take, have
Somebody ----s something
- use - seek or achieve an end by using to one's advantage; "She uses her influential friends to get jobs"; "The president's wife used her good connections"
--3 is one way to exploit, work
They use him to write the letter
- use, expend - use up, consume fully; "The legislature expended its time on school questions"
They use the money
- practice, apply, use - avail oneself to; "apply a principle"; "practice a religion"; "use care when going down the stairs"; "use your common sense"; "practice non-violent resistance"
Somebody ----s something
- use - habitually do something (use only in the past tense); "She used to call her mother every week but now she calls only occasionally"; "I used to get sick when I ate in that dining hall"; "They used to vacation in the Bahamas"
--6 is one way to act, move
Somebody ----s to INFINITIVE