Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adverbial flop has 2 senses
- flop - with a flopping sound; "he tumbled flop into the mud"
- right, flop - exactly; "he fell flop on his face"
Noun flop has 4 senses
- floating-point operation, flop - an arithmetic operation performed on floating-point numbers; "this computer can perform a million flops per second"
--1 is a kind of computer operation, machine operation
- flop, dud, washout - someone who is unsuccessful
--2 is a kind of failure, loser, nonstarter, unsuccessful person
- flop, bust - a complete failure; "the play was a dismal flop"
--3 is a kind of failure
--3 has particulars: turkey, bomb, dud
- flop, collapse - the act of throwing yourself down; "he landed on the bed with a great flop"
--4 is a kind of descent
Verb flop has 3 senses
- flop - fall loosely; "He flopped into a chair"
--1 is one way to collapse, fall in, cave in, give, give way, break, founder
The children flop in the rocking chair
There flop some children in the rocking chair
- flop - fall suddenly and abruptly
--2 is one way to descend, fall, go down, come down
Something is ----ing PP
Somebody ----s PP
- fall through, fall flat, founder, flop - fail utterly; collapse; "The project foundered"
--3 is one way to fail, go wrong, miscarry
The business is going to flop