Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun slide has 7 senses
- slide, microscope slide - a small flat rectangular piece of glass on which specimens can be mounted for microscopic study
--1 is a kind of plate glass, sheet glass
--1 has parts: cover glass, cover slip; section
- slide - (geology) the descent of a large mass of earth or rocks or snow etc.
--2 is a kind of descent
--2 has particulars: avalanche; landslide, landslip
- swoop, slide - (music) rapid sliding up or down the musical scale; "the violinist was indulgent with his swoops and slides"
--3 is a kind of glissando
- slide - plaything consisting of a sloping chute down which children can slide
--4 is a kind of plaything, toy
--4 is a part of playground
- slide, glide, coast - the act of moving smoothly along a surface while remaining in contact with it; "his slide didn't stop until the bottom of the hill"; "the children lined up for a coast down the snowy slope"
--5 is a kind of motion, movement, move
--5 has particulars: skid, slip, sideslip
- slide, lantern slide - a transparency mounted in a frame; viewed with a slide projector
--6 is a kind of foil, transparency
--6 has parts: positive
- chute, slide, slideway, sloping trough - sloping channel through which things can descend
--7 is a kind of gutter, trough
--7 has parts: skid
--7 has particulars: coal chute; water chute
Verb slide has 3 senses
- skid, slip, slue, slew, slide - move obliquely or sideways, usually in an uncontrolled manner; "the wheels skidded against the sidewalk"
--1 is one way to glide
Something is ----ing PP
Somebody ----s PP
- slither, slide - to pass or move unobtrusively or smoothly; "They slid through the wicket in the big gate"
--2 is one way to travel, go, move, locomote
The girls slide the wooden sticks
- slide - move smoothly along a surface; "He slid the money over to the other gambler"
--3 is one way to move, displace
The wooden sticks slide