Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun risk has 4 senses
- hazard, jeopardy, peril, risk - a source of danger; a possibility of incurring loss or misfortune; "drinking alcohol is a health hazard"
--1 is a kind of danger
--1 has particulars: occupational hazard; health hazard; sword of Damocles
- risk, peril, danger - a venture undertaken without regard to possible loss or injury; "he saw the rewards but not the risks of crime"; "there was a danger he would do the wrong thing"
--2 is a kind of venture
--2 has particulars: chance; crapshoot; gamble
- risk, risk of infection - the probability of becoming infected given that exposure to an infectious agent has occurred
--3 is a kind of probability, chance
- risk, risk of exposure - the probability of being exposed to an infectious agent
--4 is a kind of probability, chance
Verb risk has 2 senses
- risk, put on the line, lay on the line - expose to a chance of loss or damage; "We risked losing a lot of money in this venture"; "Why risk your life?"
--1 is one way to try, seek, attempt, essay, assay
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s VERB-ing
- gamble, chance, risk, hazard, take chances, adventure, run a risk, take a chance - take a risk in the hope of a favorable outcome; "When you buy these stocks you are gambling"
--2 is one way to try, seek, attempt, essay, assay
Somebody ----s that CLAUSE