Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun peril has 3 senses
- hazard, jeopardy, peril, risk - a source of danger; a possibility of incurring loss or misfortune; "drinking alcohol is a health hazard"
--1 is a kind of danger
--1 has particulars: occupational hazard; health hazard; sword of Damocles
- riskiness, peril - a state of danger involving risk
--2 is a kind of danger
--2 has particulars: speculativeness
- risk, peril, danger - a venture undertaken without regard to possible loss or injury; "he saw the rewards but not the risks of crime"; "there was a danger he would do the wrong thing"
--3 is a kind of venture
--3 has particulars: chance; crapshoot; gamble
Verb peril has 2 senses
- endanger, jeopardize, jeopardise, menace, threaten, imperil, peril - pose a threat to; present a danger to; "The pollution is endangering the crops"
--1 is one way to exist, be
Sam cannot peril Sue
- queer, expose, scupper, endanger, peril - put in a dangerous, disadvantageous, or difficult position
--2 is one way to affect, impact, bear upon, bear on, touch on, touch
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s somebody
Something ----s something