Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun hope has 6 senses
- hope - a specific instance of feeling hopeful; "it revived their hope of winning the pennant"
--1 is a kind of anticipation, expectancy
- hope - the general feeling that some desire will be fulfilled; "in spite of his troubles he never gave up hope"
--2 is a kind of feeling
--2 has particulars: hopefulness; encouragement; optimism
- promise, hope - grounds for feeling hopeful about the future; "there is little or no promise that he will recover"
--3 is a kind of expectation, outlook, prospect
--3 has particulars: rainbow
- hope - someone (or something) on which expectations are centered; "he was their best hope for a victory"
--4 is a kind of person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, human, soul
--4 has particulars: white hope, great white hope
- Hope, Bob Hope, Leslie Townes Hope - United States comedian (born in England) who appeared in films with Bing Crosby (born in 1903)
--5 is a kind of comedian, comic
- hope - one of the three Christian virtues
--6 is a kind of theological virtue, supernatural virtue