Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun charm has 3 senses
- appeal, appealingness, charm - attractiveness that interests or pleases or stimulates; "his smile was part of his appeal to her"
--1 is a kind of attractiveness
--1 has particulars: siren call, siren song; winsomeness
- spell, magic spell, charm - a verbal formula believed to have magical force; "he whispered a spell as he moved his hands"; "inscribed around its base is a charm in Balinese"
--2 is a kind of speech, speech communication, spoken communication, spoken language, language, voice communication, oral communication
--2 has particulars:
- charm, good luck charm - something believed to bring good luck
--3 is a kind of object, physical object
--3 has particulars:
Verb charm has 4 senses
- capture, enamour, trance, catch, becharm, enamor, captivate, beguile, charm, fascinate, bewitch, entrance, enchant - attract; cause to be enamored; "She captured all the men's hearts"
--1 is one way to attract, appeal
Sam cannot charm Sue
The performance is likely to charm Sue
- charm, becharm - control by magic spells, as by practicing witchcraft
--2 is one way to control, command
Somebody ----s something
- charm - protect through supernatural powers or charms
--3 is one way to protect
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s somebody
- charm, influence, tempt - induce into action by using one's charm; "She charmed him into giving her all his money"
--4 is one way to persuade
They charm him into writing the letter