Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun cant has 5 senses
- buzzword, cant - stock phrases that have become nonsense through endless repetition
--1 is a kind of nonsense, bunk, nonsensicality, meaninglessness, hokum
- bank, cant, camber - a slope in the turn of a road or track; the outside is higher than the inside in order to reduce the effects of centrifugal force
--2 is a kind of slope, incline, side
- cant, jargon, slang, lingo, argot, patois, vernacular - a characteristic language of a particular group (as among thieves); "they don't speak our lingo"
--3 is a kind of non-standard speech
--3 has particulars: street name; rhyming slang
- cant, pious platitude - insincere talk about religion or morals
--4 is a kind of talk, talking
- bevel, cant, chamfer - two surfaces meeting at an angle different from 90 degrees
--5 is a kind of edge
--5 has particulars: splay
Verb cant has 1 sense
- cant, cant over, tilt, slant, pitch - heel over; "The tower is tilting"; "The ceiling is slanting"
--1 is one way to move
Somebody ----s something