Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective bond has 1 sense
- bond, enslaved, enthralled, in bondage - held in slavery; "born of enslaved parents"
Antonym: free (indirect, via slave)
Noun bond has 10 senses
- chemical bond, bond - an electrical force linking atoms
--1 is a kind of attraction, attractive force
--1 has particulars:
- bond, bond certificate - a certificate of debt (usually interest-bearing or discounted) that is issued by a government or corporation in order to raise money; the issuer is required to pay a fixed sum annually until maturity and then a fixed sum to repay the principal
--2 is a kind of debt instrument, certificate of indebtedness; security, certificate
--2 has particulars:
- alliance, bond - a connection based on kinship or marriage or common interest; "the shifting alliances within a large family"; "their friendship constitutes a powerful bond between them"
--3 is a kind of connection, connexion, connectedness
--3 has particulars: silver cord
- bail, bail bond, bond - (criminal law) money that must be forfeited by the bondsman if an accused person fails to appear in court for trial; "the judge set bail at $10,000"; "a $10,000 bond was furnished by an alderman"
--4 is a kind of recognizance, recognisance
- shackle, bond, hamper, trammel, trammels - a restraint that confines or restricts freedom (especially something used to tie down or restrain a prisoner)
--5 is a kind of restraint, constraint
--5 has particulars:
- attachment, bond - a connection that fastens things together
--6 is a kind of connection, connexion, connector, connecter, connective
--6 has particulars: ligament
- bond, bond paper - a superior quality of strong durable white writing paper; originally made for printing documents
--7 is a kind of writing paper
- Bond, Julian Bond - United States civil rights leader who was elected to the legislature in Georgia but was barred from taking his seat because he opposed the Vietnam War (born 1940)
--8 is a kind of civil rights leader, civil rights worker, civil rights activist
- Bond, James Bond - British secret operative 007 in novels by Ian Fleming
--9 is a kind of fictional character, fictitious character, character
- adhesiveness, adhesion, adherence, bond - the property of sticking together (as of glue and wood) or the joining of surfaces of different composition
--10 is a kind of stickiness
Verb bond has 4 senses
- adhere, hold fast, bond, bind, stick, stick to - stick to firmly; "Will this wallpaper adhere to the wall?"
--1 is one way to attach
Something is ----ing PP
- bind, tie, attach, bond - create social or emotional ties; "The grandparents want to bond with the child"
--2 is one way to relate
Something ----s somebody
=> Somebody ----s PP
- bond - issue bonds on
--3 is one way to mortgage
Somebody ----s something
- bond, bring together, draw together - bring together in a common cause or emotion; "The death of their child had drawn them together"
--4 is one way to connect, link, tie, link up
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s somebody