Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective soft has 10 senses
- soft - lacking in hardness relatively or comparatively
Antonyms: hard, adamantine, al dente, corneous, hornlike, horny, erect, tumid, firm, solid, granitic, granitelike, rocklike, stony, hardened, set, lignified, woody, marmoreal, marmorean, ossified, petrified, petrous, stonelike, slaty, slatey, steely, unpadded, semihard
- soft - metaphorically soft; "my father is a soft touch"; "soft light"; "a soft rain"; "a soft Southern drawl"; "soft brown eyes"; "a soft glance"
Antonyms: hard, brutal, cruel, harsh, rigorous, unkind, calculating, calculative, conniving, scheming, shrewd, case-hardened, hardened, hard-boiled, steely, stiff, uphill
- soft - of sound; relatively low in volume; "soft voices"; "soft music"
Antonyms: loud, big, blaring, blasting, clarion, deafening, earsplitting, roaring, thunderous, thundery, earthshaking, loud-mouthed, loud-voiced, shattering, shouted, yelled, vocal
- delicate, soft - easily hurt; "soft hands"; "a baby's delicate skin"
Antonyms: tough, toughened (indirect, via tender)
- piano, soft - used chiefly as a direction or description in music; "the piano passages in the composition"
- nonalcoholic, soft - used of beverages; not containing alcohol; "nonalcoholic beverages"; "soft drinks"
- soft - of speech sounds; characterized by a hissing or hushing sound (as `s' and `sh')
Antonyms: hard, plosive, velar
- indulgent, lax, lenient, soft - tolerant or lenient; "indulgent parents risk spoiling their children"; "procedures are lax and discipline is weak"; "too soft on the children"
Antonym: unpermissive (indirect, via permissive)
- easy, gentle, soft - having little impact; "an easy pat on the shoulder"; "gentle rain"; "a gentle breeze"; "a soft (or light) tapping at the window"
Antonym: heavy (indirect, via light)
- cushy, soft - not burdensome or demanding; borne or done easily and without hardship; "what a cushy job!"; "a soft job"
Antonyms: difficult, hard (indirect, via easy)
Adverbial soft has 1 sense
- easy, soft - in a relaxed manner; or without hardship; "just wanted to take it easy" (`soft' is nonstandard)
Derived from adjective soft10