Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective sheer has 4 senses
- absolute, downright, out-and-out, rank, right-down, sheer - complete and without restriction or qualification; sometimes used informally as intensifiers; "absolute freedom"; "an absolute dimwit"; "a downright lie"; "out-and-out mayhem"; "an out-and-out lie"; "a rank outsider"; "many right-down vices"; "got the job through sheer persistence"; "sheer stupidity"
Antonyms: incomplete, uncomplete (indirect, via complete)
Antonym: incomplete (indirect, via complete)
- plain, sheer, unmingled, unmixed - not mixed with extraneous elements; "plain water"; "sheer wine"; "not an unmixed blessing"
Antonym: impure (indirect, via pure)
- bluff, bold, sheer - very steep; having a prominent and almost vertical front; "a bluff headland"; "where the bold chalk cliffs of England rise"; "a sheer descent of rock"
Antonym: gradual (indirect, via steep)
- diaphanous, filmy, gauzy, gossamer, see-through, sheer, transparent, vaporous, cobwebby - so thin as to transmit light; "a hat with a diaphanous veil"; "filmy wings of a moth"; "gauzy clouds of dandelion down"; "gossamer cobwebs"; "sheer silk stockings"; "transparent chiffon"; "vaporous silks"
Antonym: thick (indirect, via thin)
Adverbial sheer has 2 senses
- sheer, perpendicularly - straight up or down without a break
- sheer - directly; "he fell sheer into the water"
Verb sheer has 2 senses
- swerve, sheer, curve, trend, veer, slue, slew, cut - turn sharply; change direction abruptly; "The car cut to the left at the intersection"; "The motorbike veered to the right"
--1 is one way to turn
Something is ----ing PP
- sheer - cause to sheer; "She sheered her car around the obstacle"
--2 is one way to steer, maneuver, manoeuver, manoeuvre, direct, point, head, guide, channelize, channelise
Somebody ----s something