Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective ready has 5 senses
- ready - completely prepared or in condition for immediate action or use or progress; "get ready"; "she is ready to resign"; "the bridge is ready to collapse"; "I am ready to work"; "ready for action"; "ready for use"; "the soup will be ready in a minute"; "ready to learn to read"
Antonyms: unready, flat-footed, napping, off-guard, off guard, off one's guard, off his guard, off her guard, off your guard, unripe, unprepared
- ready - (of especially money) immediately available; "he seems to have ample ready money"; "a ready source of cash"
Antonym: unavailable (indirect, via available)
- ready - mentally disposed; "he was ready to believe her"
Antonym: unwilling (indirect, via willing)
- ready - brought into readiness; "dinner is ready"
Antonym: unprepared (indirect, via prepared)
- quick, ready - apprehending and responding with speed and sensitivity; "a quick mind"; "a ready wit"
Antonyms: unintelligent, stupid (indirect, via intelligent)
Noun ready has 1 sense
- ready - poised for action; "their guns were at the ready"
--1 is a kind of readiness, preparedness, preparation
Verb ready has 2 senses
- cook, fix, ready, make, prepare - prepare for eating by applying heat; "Cook me dinner, please"; "can you make me an omelette?"; "fix breakfast for the guests, please"
--1 is one way to create from raw material, create from raw stuff
The chefs ready the vegetables
- fix, prepare, set up, ready, gear up, set - make ready or suitable or equip in advance for a particular purpose or for some use, event, etc; "Get the children ready for school!"; "prepare for war"; "I was fixing to leave town after I paid the hotel bill"
--2 is one way to change, alter, modify
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s somebody
Something ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody PP
Somebody ----s something PP
Somebody ----s to INFINITIVE