Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun radiation has 7 senses
- radiation - energy that is radiated or transmitted in the form of rays or waves or particles
--1 is a kind of energy
--1 has particulars:
- radiation - the act of spreading outward from a central source
--2 is a kind of emission, emanation
--2 has particulars: bombardment
- radiation sickness, radiation syndrome, radiation - syndrome resulting from exposure to ionizing radiation (e.g., exposure to radioactive chemicals or to nuclear explosions); low doses cause diarrhea and nausea and vomiting and sometimes loss of hair; greater exposure can cause sterility and cataracts and some forms of cancer and other diseases; severe exposure can cause death within hours; "he was suffering from radiation"
--3 is a kind of syndrome
- radiation, radioactivity - the spontaneous emission of a stream of particles or electromagnetic rays in nuclear decay
--4 is a kind of emission
--4 has particulars: corpuscular radiation, particulate radiation
- radiation - the spread of a group of organisms into new habitats
--5 is a kind of natural process, natural action, action, activity; spread, spreading
--5 has particulars: adaptive radiation
- radiation - a radial arrangement of nerve fibers connecting different parts of the brain
--6 is a kind of neural structure
- radiotherapy, radiation therapy, radiation, actinotherapy, irradiation - (medicine) the treatment of disease (especially cancer) by exposure to radiation from a radioactive substance
--7 is a kind of therapy
--7 has particulars: phototherapy; radium therapy, Curietherapy; X-ray therapy