Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun power has 9 senses
- power, powerfulness - possession of controlling influence; "the deterrent power of nuclear weapons"; "the power of his love saved her"; "his powerfulness was concealed by a gentle facade"
--1 is a kind of quality
Antonyms: powerlessness, impotence, impotency
--1 has particulars:
| ||potency, effectiveness, strength; valence, valency; valence, valency; preponderance; puissance; persuasiveness, strength; irresistibility, irresistibleness; interest, interestingness; stranglehold, chokehold, throttlehold; sway; influence; repellent, repellant; control; legal power, jurisdiction; disposal; free will, discretion; veto; reins; effectiveness, effectivity, effectualness, effectuality|
- power - (physics) the rate of doing work; measured in watts (= joules/second)
--2 is a kind of physical phenomenon
--2 has particulars: electrical power, electric power, wattage; waterpower
- ability, power - possession of the qualities (especially mental qualities) required to do something or get something done; "danger heightened his powers of discrimination"
--3 is a kind of cognition, knowledge, noesis
--3 has particulars:
| ||know-how; leadership; intelligence; aptitude; capacity, mental ability; creativity, creativeness, creative thinking; originality; skill, science; skill, accomplishment, acquirement, acquisition, attainment; hand; superior skill; faculty, mental faculty, module|
- world power, major power, great power, power, superpower - a state powerful enough to influence events throughout the world
--4 is a kind of state, nation, country, land, commonwealth, res publica, body politic
- office, power - (of a government or government official) holding an office means being in power; "being in office already gives a candidate a great advantage"; "during his first year in office"; "during his first year in power"; "the power of the president"
--5 is a kind of state
--5 has particulars: executive clemency; war power
- power, force - one possessing or exercising power or influence or authority; "the mysterious presence of an evil power"; "may the force be with you"; "the forces of evil"
--6 is a kind of causal agent, cause, causal agency
--6 has particulars: juggernaut, steamroller; influence; Moloch
- might, mightiness, power - physical strength
--7 is a kind of strength
- exponent, power, index - a mathematical notation indicating the number of times a quantity is multiplied by itself
--8 is a kind of mathematical notation
--8 has particulars: degree; logarithm, log
- baron, big businessman, business leader, king, magnate, mogul, power, top executive, tycoon - a very wealthy or powerful businessman; "an oil baron"
--9 is a kind of businessman, man of affairs
--9 has particulars: oil tycoon