Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun pattern has 8 senses
- form, shape, pattern - a perceptual structure; "the composition presents problems for students of musical form"; "a visual pattern must include not only objects but the spaces between them"
--1 is a kind of structure
--1 is a part of percept, perception, perceptual experience
--1 has particulars: fractal; gestalt; mosaic; strand
- practice, pattern - a customary way of operation or behavior; "it is their practice to give annual raises"; "they changed their dietary pattern"
--2 is a kind of activity
--2 has particulars:
- design, pattern, figure - a decorative or artistic work; "the coach had a design on the doors"
--3 is a kind of decoration, ornament, ornamentation
--3 has particulars:
- convention, normal, pattern, rule, formula - something regarded as a normative example; "the convention of not naming the main character"; "violence is the rule not the exception"; "his formula for impressing visitors"
--4 is a kind of practice
--4 has particulars: mores; code of conduct, code of behavior
- pattern - a model considered worthy of imitation; "the American constitution has provided a pattern for many republics"
--5 is a kind of exemplar, example, model, good example
- blueprint, design, pattern - something intended as a guide for making something else; "a blueprint for a house"; "a pattern for a skirt"
--6 is a kind of plan, program, programme
- traffic pattern, approach pattern, pattern - the path that is prescribed for an airplane that is preparing to land at an airport; "the traffic patterns around O'Hare are very crowded"; "they stayed in the pattern until the fog lifted"
--7 is a kind of path, route, itinerary
--7 has parts: approach path, approach, glide path, glide slope
- radiation pattern, radiation diagram, pattern - graphical representation (in polar or cartesian coordinates) of the spatial distribution of radiation from an antenna as a function of angle
--8 is a kind of graph, graphical record
--8 has parts: lobe
Verb pattern has 2 senses
- model, pattern - plan or create according to a model or models
--1 is one way to imitate, copy, simulate
Somebody ----s something PP
- pattern - form a pattern; "These sentences pattern like the ones we studied before"
--2 is one way to match, fit, correspond, check, jibe, gibe, tally, agree
Something is ----ing PP