Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun organization has 7 senses
- organization, organisation - a group of people who work together
--1 is a kind of social group
--1 has members: quorum; membership, rank
--1 has particulars:
| ||affiliate; nongovernmental organization, NGO; Orange Order, Association of Orangemen; Tammany Hall, Tammany Society, Tammany; fiefdom; line of defense, line of defence; line organization, line organisation; association; polity; quango, quasi-NGO; institution, establishment; enterprise; defense, defence, defense force, defence force; establishment; fire brigade, fire company; company, troupe; unit, social unit; Peace Corps; force, personnel; union, labor union, trade union, trades union, brotherhood; musical organization, musical organisation, musical group; party, political party; machine, political machine; machine; professional organization, professional organisation; alliance, coalition, alignment, alinement; federation; hierarchy, power structure, pecking order; deputation, commission, delegation, delegacy, mission; Girl Scouts; blue; gray, grey; host; pool|
- arrangement, organization, organisation, system - an organized structure for arranging or classifying; "he changed the arrangement of the topics"; "the facts were familiar but it was in the organization of them that he was original"; "he tried to understand their system of classification"
--2 is a kind of structure
--2 has particulars:
- administration, governance, governing body, establishment, brass, organization, organisation - the persons (or committees or departments etc.) who make up a body for the purpose of administering something; "he claims that the present administration is corrupt"; "the governance of an association is responsible to its members"; "he quickly became recognized as a member of the establishment"
--3 is a kind of body
--3 is a part of government, authorities, regime
--3 has parts: hierarchy, power structure, pecking order
--3 has members: advisory board, planning board
--3 has particulars:
- constitution, establishment, formation, organization, organisation - the act of forming something; "the constitution of a PTA group last year"; "it was the establishment of his reputation"; "he still remembers the organization of the club"
--4 is a kind of beginning, start, commencement
--4 has particulars:
- organization, organisation - the act of organizing a business or business-related activity; "he was brought in to supervise the organization of a new department"
--5 is a kind of administration, disposal
--5 has particulars:
- organization, organisation - the activity or result of distributing or disposing persons or things properly or methodically; "his organization of the work force was very efficient"
--6 is a kind of activity
--6 has particulars:
- organization, organisation, system - an ordered manner; orderliness by virtue of being methodical and well organized; "his compulsive organization was not an endearing quality"; "we can't do it unless we establish some system around here"
--7 is a kind of orderliness, methodicalness