Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective liberal has 5 senses
- broad, large-minded, liberal, tolerant - showing or characterized by broad-mindedness; "a broad political stance"; "generous and broad sympathies"; "a liberal newspaper"; "tolerant of his opponent's opinions"
Antonyms: narrow-minded, narrow (indirect, via broad-minded)
- liberal - having political or social views favoring reform and progress
Antonym: center (indirect, via right, left)
Antonym: right (indirect, via left, center)
- liberal - tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition
Antonyms: conservative, blimpish, buttoned-up, fusty, standpat, unprogressive, nonprogressive, hidebound, traditionalist, ultraconservative
- big, bighearted, bounteous, bountiful, freehanded, handsome, giving, liberal, openhanded - given or giving freely; "was a big tipper"; "the bounteous goodness of God"; "bountiful compliments"; "a freehanded host"; "a handsome allowance"; "Saturday's child is loving and giving"; "a liberal backer of the arts"; "a munificent gift"; "her fond and openhanded grandfather"
Antonyms: stingy, ungenerous (indirect, via generous)
- free, loose, liberal - not literal; "a loose interpretation of what she had been told"; "a free translation of the poem"
Antonym: exact (indirect, via inexact)