Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun fuel has 1 sense
- fuel - a substance that can be consumed to produce energy; "more fuel is needed during the winter months"; "they developed alternative fuels for aircraft"
--1 is a kind of substance, matter
--1 has particulars:
| ||biomass; butane; charcoal, wood coal; coal gas; coke; diesel oil, diesel fuel; fossil fuel; fuel oil, heating oil; gasohol; gasoline, gasolene, gas, petrol; illuminant; kerosene, kerosine, lamp oil, coal oil; methanol, methyl alcohol, wood alcohol, wood spirit; nuclear fuel; propane; red fire; combustible, combustible material; water gas; firewood; igniter, ignitor, lighter|
Verb fuel has 4 senses
- fuel - provide with a combustible substance that provides emergy; "fuel aircraft, ships, and cars"
--1 is one way to supply, provide, render, furnish
Somebody ----s something
- fuel, fire - provide with fuel; "Oil fires the furnace"
--2 is one way to supply, provide, render, furnish
Something ----s something
- fuel - take in fuel, as of a ship; "The tanker fueled in Bahrain"
--3 is one way to take in, take up
Something is ----ing PP
- fuel - stimulate; "fuel the debate on creationism"
--4 is one way to stimulate, shake, shake up, excite, stir
Something ----s somebody