Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun devil has 5 senses
- Satan, Old Nick, Devil, the Devil, Lucifer, Beelzebub, the Tempter, Prince of Darkness - (Judeo-Christian and Islamic religions) chief spirit of evil and adversary of God; tempter of mankind; master of Hell
--1 is a kind of spiritual being, supernatural being
- devil, fiend, demon, daemon, daimon - one of the evil spirits of traditional Jewish and Christian belief
--2 is a kind of evil spirit
--2 has particulars: incubus; succubus, succuba; dybbuk, dibbuk
- devil, deuce, dickens - a word used in exclamations of confusion; "what the devil"; "the deuce with it"; "the dickens you say"
--3 is a kind of exclamation, exclaiming
- hellion, heller, devil - a rowdy or mischievous person (usually a young man); "he chased the young hellions out of his yard"
--4 is a kind of troublemaker, trouble maker, troubler, mischief-maker, bad hat
- monster, fiend, devil, demon, ogre - a cruel wicked and inhuman person
--5 is a kind of unpleasant person, disagreeable person
--5 has particulars: demoniac
Verb devil has 2 senses
- annoy, rag, get to, bother, get at, irritate, rile, nark, nettle, gravel, vex, chafe, devil - cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations; "Mosquitoes buzzing in my ear really bothers me"; "It irritates me that she never closes the door after she leaves"
--1 is one way to displease
The performance is likely to devil Sue
- devil - coat or stuff with a spicy paste; "devilled eggs"
--2 is one way to cook, fix, ready, make, prepare
The chefs devil the vegetables