Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective criminal has 4 senses
- criminal - relating to crime or its punishment; "criminal court"
- condemnable, criminal, deplorable, reprehensible - bringing or deserving severe rebuke or censure; "a criminal waste of talent"; "a deplorable act of violence"; "adultery is as reprehensible for a husband as for a wife"
Antonym: right (indirect, via wrong)
- criminal - guilty of crime or serious offense; "criminal in the sight of God and man"
Antonyms: innocent, guiltless, clean-handed (indirect, via guilty)
- criminal, felonious - involving or being or having the nature of a crime; "a criminal offense"; "criminal abuse"; "felonious intent"
Antonym: legal (indirect, via illegal)
Noun criminal has 1 sense
- criminal, felon, crook, outlaw, malefactor - someone who has committed (or been legally convicted of) a crime
--1 is a kind of wrongdoer, offender
--1 has particulars:
| ||accessory, accessary; arsonist, incendiary, firebug; blackmailer, extortioner, extortionist; bootlegger, moonshiner; briber, suborner; conspirator, coconspirator, plotter, machinator; desperado, desperate criminal; fugitive, fugitive from justice; gangster, mobster; highbinder; highjacker, hijacker; hood, hoodlum, goon, punk, thug, tough, toughie, strong-armer; kidnapper, abductor, snatcher; mafioso; moll, gun moll, gangster's moll; murderer, liquidator, manslayer; probationer, parolee; pusher, drug peddler, peddler, drug dealer, drug trafficker; racketeer; raper, rapist; recidivist, repeater, habitual criminal; scofflaw; smuggler, runner, contrabandist, moon curser, moon-curser; thief, stealer; traitor, treasonist; violator, lawbreaker, law offender; Bonney, William H. Bonney, Billie the Kid; James, Jesse James; MacGregor, Robert MacGregor, Rob Roy|