Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun conflict has 7 senses
- conflict, struggle, battle - an open clash between two opposing groups (or individuals); "the harder the conflict the more glorious the triumph"--Thomas Paine; "police tried to control the battle between the pro- and anti-abortion mobs"
--1 is a kind of group action
--1 has particulars:
| ||class struggle, class war, class warfare; rebellion, insurrection, revolt, rising, uprising; pacification, counterinsurgency; strife; tug-of-war; turf war; fight, fighting, combat, scrap; feud; war, warfare|
- conflict - opposition between two simultaneous but incompatible feelings; "he was immobilized by conflict and indecision"
--2 is a kind of ambivalence, ambivalency
- battle, conflict, fight, engagement - a hostile meeting of opposing military forces in the course of a war; "Grant won a decisive victory in the battle of Chickamauga"; "he lost his romantic ideas about war when he got into a real engagement"
--3 is a kind of military action, action
--3 is a part of war, warfare
--3 has particulars:
- conflict - a state of opposition between persons or ideas or interests; "his conflict of interest made him ineligible for the post"; "a conflict of loyalties"
--4 is a kind of state
--4 has particulars:
- conflict - an incompatibility of dates or events; "he noticed a conflict in the dates of the two meetings"
--5 is a kind of incompatibility
- conflict - opposition in a work of drama or fiction between characters or forces (especially an opposition that motivates the development of the plot); "this form of conflict is essential to Mann's writing"
--6 is a kind of opposition, oppositeness
- dispute, difference, difference of opinion, conflict - a disagreement or argument about something important; "he had a dispute with his wife"; "there were irreconcilable differences"; "the familiar conflict between Republicans and Democrats"
--7 is a kind of disagreement
--7 has particulars:
| ||collision; controversy, contention, contestation, disputation, disceptation, tilt, argument, arguing; quarrel, wrangle, row, words, run-in, dustup|
Verb conflict has 2 senses
- conflict - be in conflict; "The two proposals conflict!"
--1 is one way to contrast, counterpoint
Something is ----ing PP
- conflict, run afoul, infringe, contravene - go against, as of rules and laws; "He ran afould of the law"; "This behavior conflicts with our rules"
--2 is one way to transgress, offend, infract, violate, go against, breach, break
Somebody ----s PP