Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun comfort has 4 senses
- comfort, comfortableness - a state of being relaxed and feeling no pain; "he is a man who enjoys his comfort"; "she longed for the comfortableness of her armchair"
--1 is a kind of condition, status
Antonyms: discomfort, uncomfortableness
--1 has particulars:
- comfort - a feeling of freedom from worry or disappointment
--2 is a kind of pleasure, pleasance
--2 has particulars:
- consolation, comfort, solace - the act of consoling; giving relief in affliction; "his presence was a consolation to her"
--3 is a kind of relief, succor, succour, ministration
- ease, comfort - a freedom from financial difficulty that promotes a comfortable state; "a life of luxury and ease"; "he had all the material comforts of this world"
--4 is a kind of affluence, richness
--4 has particulars: lap of luxury
Verb comfort has 2 senses
- comfort, soothe, console, solace - give moral or emotional strength to
The good news will comfort her
- comfort, ease - lessen pain or discomfort; alleviate; "ease the pain in your legs"
--2 is one way to relieve, alleviate, palliate, assuage
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody