Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun citation has 6 senses
- citation, commendation - an official award (as for bravery or service) usually given as formal public statement
--1 is a kind of award, accolade, honor, honour, laurels
- citation - (law) the act of citing (as of spoken words or written passages or legal precedents etc.)
--2 is a kind of speech act
- citation, acknowledgment, credit, reference, mention, quotation - a short note recognizing a source of information or of a quoted passage; "the student's essay failed to list several important citations"; "the acknowledgments are usually printed at the front of a book"; "the article includes mention of similar clinical cases"
--3 is a kind of note, annotation, notation
--3 has particulars: photo credit; cross-reference, cross-index
- quotation, quote, citation - a passage or expression that is quoted or cited
--4 is a kind of excerpt, extract, selection
--4 has particulars: epigraph; mimesis; misquotation
- citation - a summons that commands the appearance of a party at a proceeding
--5 is a kind of summons, process
- Citation - thoroughbred that won the triple crown in 1948
--6 is a kind of thoroughbred